October 28, 2010

Is this bench for sitting?

Uta knows enough about contemporary art to know that not all benches are benches. Sometimes if it looks like a bench, and talks like a bench, it may very well be Art, and not a bench at all. Sitting upon the wrong thing in a gallery could be catastrophic. On a recent trip to chelsea to see some shows, Uta asked, in all earnestness, "Is this bench for sitting?" It sounded pretty funny, but I was proud of him for asking. Uta's mind is wide open, and he's got a very objective eye. He's good company to have along when looking at art. But I don't think he likes coming with me as much as I like having him with me. He's just glad when he can find a bench that is meant for sitting. To Uta, all art looks much better when you can put your feet up.

No comments: