March 21, 2008

We love Erica-sensei!



One of the hardest things I have encountered in motherhood is entrusting the care of my boy to complete strangers. Fortunately I did not have to face this hurdle until last year when Uta entered Pre-K. I know for some, the prospect of spending 24 hours a day for four years straight (literally) with one's child sounds like a nightmare, but for me, nothing else would have felt right. Never once did I have to worry if he was in good hands, I could be confident that every moment of his days were imbued with love. And in my opinion that's all the early years need be about, being loved. 

Uta's pre-K teacher was a gift, endlessly patient and kind, it was easy to trust her. The transition was natural. But this year we were not so fortunate, the only thing Uta is learning in Kindergarten is the fact that not everyone in this world is nice. I guess he had to find out sooner or later, but its sad to watch that magical thinking fade into reality. 

Restoring our faith in education is Uta's after school teacher Erica-sensei. Uta spends Thursday afternoons with her studying Japanese, and its clearly Uta's happiest time of the week. Never do I see him as proud as when I pick him up after Japanese class. Not only is Erica-sensei gentle and encouraging in her approach, she leads with her heart. On several occasions tears have welled up in her eyes as she spoke to me about Uta's progress. She really gets him. She sees past the shyness that hangs heavy on him in the classroom. His shyness is just on the surface, a cloud of hesitation, easily blown away in the right hands, but not everyone takes the time to do this. Erica-sensei does. She sees how brilliant he is inside and has made it her personal mission to make him see it too. We love Erica-sensei.

No comments: