July 14, 2009

Carnival Loot


Papa H and Uta went to a street carnival the other day and a returned with quite a loot of prizes. Their winnings included one giant blow up alien, a mini stuffed hedgehog, some sort of yellow mutant sea creature vaguely resembling a dolphin, two golden swords, and three REAL goldfish in plastic bags. My reaction? Well there was quite a difference between what came out of my mouth and what I was really thinking. I think I said something like, Wow! But in my thoughts I was stringing together expletives. To most well adjusted folk, a heap of crappy toys and a few fish is not a big deal, a sort of necessary ingredient to a healthy childhood summer. I do agree. But I am not so well adjusted. And the idea of having three more living things to care for? Not now! But it was too late, for Uta it was true love and we could do nothing but provide them with the best. The first night the fish had to rough it a bit. They stayed in a big glass jar and ate nothing. The next morning Uta and I made a pilgrimage to Petco to find more suitable arrangements. The plastic castles and sunken battleships were of course top of Uta's list. I was able to convince him that we should stick with the bare necessities, which I found quickly added up to a lot more than their humble carnival beginnings. They are now happily settled in a real tank, and slowly getting used to the giant gawking face that practically lives pressed up against the glass. Don't ask me why, but Uta has named them Chuck, Potter, and Sylvia.

No comments: