December 1, 2009

Night Duty



I'm going on three months now without decent sleep, more if you count those prenatal big belly nights of insomnia. I'm pretty tired. Some days, try as I might, I just can't blink the fog from my eyes. Last night Kizuki slept from nine to two, which, according to baby books, constitutes sleeping through the night. That doesn't exactly feel like a full night of sleep to me, but certainly preferable to the nights when she wakes up hourly. Last night Uta was feverish and coughing and needed his own night time parenting. Navigating through the house in the dark is effortless, my eyes easily translate the shadows. I refill the vaporizer, change a diaper, take Uta's temperature, get him some juice, resettle the baby, resettle myself, and sleep (a little). Shuffle and repeat until the sun rises and Kiki's eyes are wide and bright and smiling. The nights aren't bad, its the mornings that pose a challenge. 

No comments: