May 16, 2008

Natto


Its easy to love the tea, the exquisite care for details, the artfully arranged food, but loving natto? Thats hard core. I like to think of myself as half Japanese, but the half of me that remains American is dead set against natto. Natto is fermented soybeans. Japanese people love to eat it for breakfast. Its incredibly healthy, apparently packed with nutrients, I really want to like it. But it has this very distinct odor, like something left too long in the back of the refrigerator. And its sticky and slimy, leaving long stringy cob webs from your mouth to the bowl as you eat. Hopefully one day I'll outgrow my disdain, but not yet. 

Uta, on the other hand, is really Japanese, and here's proof: he has been requesting natto! So the other day we picked some up at the Sunrise Mart. Here he is with Pop eating it up. Sugoi! (Wow)




No comments: