May 3, 2008

Story torture

Uta's hunger for stories is insatiable. He is not happy unless he is in the throws of some pretend drama. Unfortunately this is not something he is willing to do independently. He needs (demands!) writers, a cast of characters, costume designers, and most importantly a narrator. Uta is the director and of course the star of the show, all other roles fall to me, or whomever he has cornered at the moment. I know someday I'll look back fondly on this time, pine for it even. But now its story torture. The structure of play is simple. Each story features Uta as an invented assemblage of super heroes (usually in the disguise of a regular kid) who comes to the rescue of some perilous scene. Uta doesn't mind if you tell the same story over and over again, in fact he prefers it. Me, I'm tapped. I just want to walk down the street as myself with Uta as Uta. But thats not going to happen any time soon. I fear my sentence in the land of make believe is long term and indefinite.


No comments: