June 16, 2008

Jungle suit

Last week when I emptied Uta's pockets I found a tiny silver spoon. Uta was somewhat resistant to reveal its origins. After a little digging I deduced that it came from the little coffee shop we frequent on the way to school. He found it on the bench outside, no different in his mind than picking up stray bolts and washers from the sidewalk. We returned the spoon the following day. Today when I emptied his pockets I found a heap of uprooted weeds. Immediately Uta says, "Don't be mad." I promised him I would not, so he told me the story. 

It was a team effort. During his recess, Uta and his pal Andre reached under the school yard fence and yanked out as much greenery as possible from the neighboring yard. Uta estimates it was only about half the garden. Another little boy (Clayton, whom you may remember from an earlier post) threatened to tell on them, so Uta stashed all the evidence in his pockets. Why on earth?

They were trying to construct a jungle suit. 

No comments: