June 5, 2008

Last hurrah

I was already composing my consolation for Uta's pending disappointment. It was the last out of the game, the Yankees were behind by two, most of the stadium had resigned their fate to losing and had cleared out to avoid the unavoidable traffic. Then Alex Rodriguez got a single, and the wind shifted. From that moment on it was a classic underdog victory. Next up Matsui, another single to score Rodriguez and bring the Yankees within one run. The grand finale, Jason Giambi hit a home run and the Yankees won. (Did I just do a play by play?) Cue Frank.

Before today, Giambi was not a player in Uta's regular repertoire. He knew the name, but had no attachments. He did however have a Giambi T-shirt that was given to him by Grandpa Bill. This morning Uta was all set to go to the game wearing his Matsui shirt when he spilled yogurt down the front. I guess I could have rinsed it off, but a quick wardrobe change made much more sense to me and luckily Uta wasn't opposed. So at the very last minute he changed into his Giambi shirt. Lucky duck. At the end of the game complete strangers were congratulating Uta like he had some real role in the game's outcome. Uta lapped it up.

When I put Uta to sleep tonight I foolishly said, Goodnight Uta.

I'm not Uta.

Who are you?

Giambi.

Goodnight Giambi.

Thanks to Grandpa Tom for giving us one last hurrah with Yankee Stadium. (Oh and for the peanuts, and pop corn, and lemon ice too.)

No comments: