June 26, 2008

Willa


This morning everyone in Uta's class read a few sentences they had written about the end of kindergarten. Uta was shockingly at ease when he stood before the classroom full of students and picture snapping parents. He spoke in a loud, clear voice, and shot me a big thumbs up when he finished. 

This is what he wrote. 

I am so happy because I will be a first grader.
I will be smarter.
I will be taller.
I will not miss kindergarten.

But one thing I know he will miss about kindergarten is Willa. They are wonderful friends. After the mini graduation ceremony we took Uta and Willa to the playground to ride the tire swing together in the rain. They delighted in being completely soaked and dizzy, for them a truly perfect celebration. And to top it all off they found a firefly. A first for them both. They gingerly passed their captive from hand to hand until the bug had had enough and took flight. Afterwards Uta and Willa marched in a zigzag through the park singing an impromptu song about being very lucky kids. 





No comments: