July 15, 2008

Four Walls



Some may think it odd to travel so many miles to stay within the confines of four walls, but that is exactly what I plan to do this week. Uta is in school, his first full week. Last week he only went one day because the school was going to the mountains for a camping trip. But this week he is off to school by nine and doesn't return home until four in the afternoon. It is a very short walk to school, no need to allot time for drop off and pick up like in New York. So for seven hours each day I have the luxury of solitude, which I relish. It is an extravagance to be plucked from my responsibilites. At home there are always errands to run, and I am a master of putting everything and anything ahead of what I love to do. But at present there are absolutely no excuses hanging before me, I am gifted with a mini sabbatical in Japan, and I am using every minute of it to draw.

The room is spare, but lovely. Six tatami mats, sliding paper doors, nice soft white light filtering through. I can't wait to see what manifests.

No comments: