August 27, 2009

Gundam



I have entered into the tortuous wait which is the final stage before the baby's birth. I am hoping there are only a handful of days left, but realistically it could very well be weeks. (Please, No!) I am impatient, to put it mildly. Everything requiring the use of my body takes tremendous effort, even lying down. There is only one position in which my body feels comfortable and that one position is not comfortable for very long. Going from sitting to standing takes forethought and serious motivation. There are eight stages, at least, of shifting, rocking and propelling myself forward and up. Yes, the beached whale metaphor is never far from mind. To top it all off, I have managed to land a nasty cold.

Uta too has the cold, but it has failed to slow him down. We are like crazy playful kitten meets dying sloth. What to do, what to do!? Luckily Uta is newly hooked on building Gundam models, two of which he received for his birthday. I only have a foggy notion of what Gundam is, and honestly I prefer it that way. This is Papa territory and he can keep his claim to it. All I can say is Gundam is some sort of violent robotic figure thing, usually with massive weapons attached to the arms. The model kits are a little intimidating, with zillions of tiny pieces to be cut from plastic frames, and an instruction book loaded with extremely detailed diagrams of what goes where. Its not something to be accomplished in a day... it might take Uta weeks, which suits us all just fine.

Best of all, this is a cherished hobby straight from Pop's childhood. Uta has been admitted into the weird and wonderful world of a Japanese boy... at least what Pop was like as a boy. And Uta is honored.


No comments: