September 29, 2009

Poker Face


Uncle J came for a visit to hang with Uta and check out his new niece. He demystified the car seat and drove us all into Manhattan for Kizuki's first doctor's appointment. Once home he made dinner; chicken adobo, rice, and corn on the cob. With my being a retired vegan of twenty years, meat still attached to a bone and looking more animal than edible rarely (never?) makes it into the house. (This to the general dismay of my boys.) Uta grabbed a drumstick and dug right in. "Oh my god," he said, "I'm really eating deep. I'm eating right to the bone. Just like a caveman." Dinner was really good, especially since I didn't do a thing to help. Thanks J!

After dinner Uta had his first sip of beer. He liked it, a little too much. (It was Guinness.) He went running to the kitchen to retrieve a cup and begged and pleaded for us to fill it up. (We did not.) 

Maybe we are taking his new found all grown up big brother privileges a little too far? Nah! Lets roll with it and introduce the boy to poker and betting while we're at it. With the whole family gathered round the table, a big can of pennies, and Uncle J whispering strategy into his ear, Uta was initiated into the world of poker.  And he loved it. A monster was born right before our very eyes. We played for three hours straight. The next morning he woke up with only one thing on his mind. Poker. He spent the next two days in hot pursuit of a Royal Straight Flush. Which he got, the real deal. (Photo above.) This boy is scary.

1 comment:

Shanta said...

Tina! I had the same reaction as a retired vegetarian. The first time J cooked that meal for me, I walked into the kitchen and said, " On the bone?!?" To which he replied, "Yes, you get all the good flavor on the bone."

I was so nervous. Unsure how my body would react to eating meat off a bone, especially since I had just recently started adding meat back in my diet. I must have been crazy or something more romantic. ;)

Chicken adobo is now one of my favorite meals that J cooks. I ask for it often.

Miss you guys. Hope to visit soon! Love to all.